Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dinner #1: Welcome to Savings Time- Mongolian BBQ

Hi there everyone! Hope you are enjoying my blog. I will be adding a post soon on restaurants that offer free children's meals and another on free birthday meals.

Well today, my husband and son joined my brother and nephew at a Toledo Walleye's Hockey game, so my mom, 2 daughters, niece, and sister-in-law went out to dinner at..... B.D.'s Mongolian BBQ. I had the meat/seafood bowl with unlimited soup and salad, while my DD had the kids portion with a drink. My meal was $12.99 which I thought was pretty reasonable and my daughters was $5.99. However, I was shocked that they charged $2.49 for her pink lemonade. Yes, the used an adults cup, but most restaurants use a childrens plastic cup and charge no more than $1.49, usually $.99.

The food was decent and the variety is endless. For those of you familiar with Blue Pacific at Levis Commons, I definitely would go there before Mongolian BBQ. The food at Mongolian was not fresh cut. Most likely frozen and thawed but it's no surprise since this is a chain restaurant. The service was awesome. Our waitress was super friendly but not overbearing. A little heads up for all you Groupon users. The management wanted a printed out Groupon not the mobile device Groupon. I told her that I never had this problem before. Most restaurants that I've used this coupon at, just wrote down my name and the bar code that appears when you pull up the Groupon. Afterwards, I was asked to press the button that says I used the coupon in front of them. When I told the manager this, she was really cool about it. They just were not aware that the Groupon could also be accessed via cell phone.

My one major gripe is I would not take children to this restaurant. The format of the restaurant is to sort of like a buffet, where you chose your meat, vegetable, and sauce at a buffet table and then have the food prepared on a huge wok-like stove. So to fill your plate, your kids' plate, and then wait for the food to get done is sort of tedious. I had my baby with me, so my mom and daughter went ahead  of me and when they came back I got my food. So, unless you all go together to order your food, you're not going to be eating together. I guess I personally, did not find the format convenient with small children who could not pour their own food or with baby's.

Would I go there again without a discount? Yes, but not for dinner. Way to busy and the lunch menu serves the same portion of food as dinner for only $9.99

In the end I paid $10 for my $20 Groupon.
Our bill was just $23.23.
Total Savings: $10
Total Savings to Date: $10

No comments:

Post a Comment